As we said earlier, our work is based on Aunty Morrnah Simeona’s basic premise. Which simply put is “If you are experiencing stress today, when you look closely, you’ll find that it’s related to memories and it’s the negative emotions around the memories causing the stress”.
Here’s a more detailed expression of her thoughts and two Hoˋoponopono prayers/processes, attributed to Aunty, still used the world over. Highlighted in Red are my comments.
Morrnah Nalamaku Simeona
Morrnah Nalamaku Simeona, a gifted native Hawaiian healer, developed a new system of healing based on the ancient spiritual tradition, Hoˋoponopono. An indefatigable educator, Simeona was honored as a Living Treasure of Hawaii.
Aunty observed the effects of western culture, which she found out of balance with spirit and Source.
This is what we are seeing in our people as well.
She said that “Western people have great difficulty in putting the intellect behind. It is difficult for the Western mind to get a grasp of a Higher Being because in traditional Western churches, the Higher Beings are not made evident.”
She continued, “Western man has gone to the extremes with his intellectualism, it divides and keeps people separate. Man then becomes a destroyer because he manages and copes, rather than letting the perpetuating force of the Divinity flow through him for right action.”
She recognized the depth of dis-ease and pain from which western civilization needed healing and knew that Hoˋoponopono could help.
Hoˋoponopono means to make right or to rectify an error.
The traditional format required the entire family to attend the healing. With a moderator present, each family member had a chance to ask for forgiveness from the others. Morrnah thought this form of resolution-forgiveness healing could help the people that came to see her but she also knew that western communities and families were fragmented, making a formal gathering difficult.
We now fit this mold too.
Our families are becoming fragmented making formal gatherings difficult.
In 1976, when Morrnah was 63, she began to develop a new form of Hoˋoponopono, modifying the original process. Her system is simple and can be used successfully by anyone. The healing process includes one’s soul and the Divine.
Aunty has said, “We can appeal to Divinity who knows our personal blueprint, for healing of all thoughts and memories that are holding us back at this time,” she continued. “It is a matter of going beyond traditional means of accessing knowledge about ourselves.
Her process of Hoˋoponopono involves four phrases which can be repeated in any order:
Please forgive me
I love you
Kala mai iaˋu
Kala mai iaˋu
Aloha (w)au ia ˋoe
By saying these words over and over, a person is said to connect her/his own inner light with the light of Source. Over time, patterns in the subconscious dissolve, and by forgiving the parts within that hold those patterns, the person’s outer world regains balance and harmony. (Lokahi)
A Pule (prayer) also attributed to Aunty Morrnah
“We are the sum total of our experiences, which is to say that we are burdened by our past. When we experience stress or fear in our lives, if we would look carefully, we would find that the cause is actually a memory. It is the emotions which are tied to these memories which affect us now. The subconscious associates an action or person in the present with something that happened in the past. When this occurs, emotions are activated and stress is produced.”
In August, 1980 at the age of 67, Aunty Morrnah introduced this Hoˋoponopono healing process at the Huna World Convention in Punaluˋu, Hawaii. She spent the next decade teaching Hoˋoponopono throughout the United States, Asia and Europe.
In 1983 she was invited to present Hoˋoponopono to the United Nations in New York City, and the World Health Organization.
Mahalo Aunty for all your work and guidance.
A hui hou, malama pono
Based on Auntie’s Work
Our form of Hoˋoponopono focuses on:
- Releasing trauma/Neg e from memories and knowing you did
- Being present
- Connecting to people in a pono (right) way
- Protecting self in a pono way
- Being in the optimum state for life in Mind, Body & Spirit (24/7)
Here is our form/process for Hoˋoponopono:
- The 1st one is the short version, which is basically an outline of the process, with little explanation.
- The 2nd one is what we refer to as the long version, which has more detail on how the process works.
- However, they are exactly the same. The 2nd one (long version) has just a little more explanation.
Hoˋoponopono Process Condensed:
- Clear Your Mind:
- Relax the Mind (Hakalau)
- Create Stage:
- In your mind’s eye, construct a stage below you.
- People, Places & Things (Including Self & Spirit)
- Connect with Aka Connection:
- Heart to Heart
- Infinite Source:
- Love, Healing, Forgiveness and Understanding
- Forgive & Remember from Heart
- Forgive person NOT behavior
- Remove Aka Connection:
- Reconnect at a higher level of consciousness
- Reconnect with loops (if you have been taught that process)
Think of or see the person; if you feel any negative emotions do the process again
- Close your eyes and calm your mind.
- Expanded awareness.
- Construct a stage:
- Can be any kind of stage you choose.
- Physical world stage like a theater.
- Metaphysical stage like floating in the clouds or space.
- Invite individuals:
- People with whom you are seeking resolution with.
- Family, friends, workplace associates, relationships, etc.
- Can be used with people, places & things. (Including Self & Spirit)
- Aka connection/cord: (Like an umbilical cord)
- Aka connection from your heart to their heart.
- If more than one individual, then more than one aka cord.
- Infinite Source:
- Imagine infinite source of Love, Healing, Forgiveness and Understanding above the top of your head.
- Allow infinite source to flow in through the top of your head.
- Filling up your body Now.
- Overflowing out of your heart and filling up the individual(s) on the stage until they are totally whole, healed and forgiven.
- Then say, “I forgive you. Do you forgive me?
- Forgiveness comes from your pu’u wai (heart) & Na’au. (inner feelings/solar plexus)
- Say it and mean it or don’t say it at all.
- Remove Aka Connections:
- When you are forgiven, then remove the aka cords and allow them to float away.
- Knowing that when you reconnect you will be reconnecting with from where you are now and from where they are now after you’ve all received the healing.
- At a higher level of consciousness.
- Can you think of the person or persons without feeling any negative emotions?
- If you do still feel negative emotions (no matter how slight) then do the process again.
- Do the process until the feelings are pono. Feels right in mind, body and spirit.
- Repeat the process with any person, groups of people, places, or things.
Some Kupuna suggest doing this process every morning to start your day fresh.
I recommend it as well!